May 8, 2011

Week 18: iFratelli Pizza


“Never Trust a Round Pizza” is the slogan at iFratelli’s Pizza, and the Cole family has been serving up their oval pizzas since 1987.  With a total of 9 locations scattered throughout North Dallas, they must be doing something right.  There happens to be a take out location on the way home from the office, so this week we enjoyed our pizza from the calming ambiance of our home kitchen.  Before I headed out of the office, I did a quick online scan of the menu, confirmed it with the “boss” at home, and hopped in the car.  Also, note that there are always printable coupons on their website that will save you a couple bucks.  As I survived the traffic around the 121/635 interchange, I called in the order, 1 Medium Cheese Pizza, and 1 Large 1/2 Staff Special (Chicken, Artichokes, and Roma Tomatoes) 1/2 The Big Brother (Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Mushroom, Bell Pepper, and Green Onion).  The kind gentleman suggested The Big Brother, as their hands-down most popular choice.  The menu has 6 “Signature Pizzas” and a size-able list of create your own toppings.  The pizzas would be ready in 15-20 minutes, so once again I timed it perfectly.
The Flower Mound Location is 100% Take-Out, unless you plan on eating pizza in the bed of your truck.  The customer area is tiny, and with 3 customers waiting, it feels packed.  While I can’t speak for all of the locations, I do know that the Irving location is a full scale restaurant and wine bar for those of you looking for the dining out experience.  I handed over my coupon, signed my $27 receipt, and headed out the door.  The pizza immediately filled my car with the delicious aroma of fresh out of the oven pizza, and I could hardly wait to drive back to the house...

First things first...  This is a thin crust pizza.  The crust has varied in texture over the several times we have eaten iFratelli’s.  On this occasion, we weren’t particularly pleased with the crust.  I cannot pinpoint exactly what the cause of the issue was, but I can say that it wasn’t right.  The taste seemed to be “over-floured” (If that is a pizza adjective,) and towards the outer edges of the pizza, the texture was dry.  The following day the crust was much better after coming fresh out of my toaster oven.  Maybe what we experienced was the down-side to having a pizza sit in a cardboard box for 20 minutes before eating???  Well enough about the crust, although that often times is a deal breaker for me.  On to the toppings.  iFratelli’s has some of the best and freshest toppings that we have encountered on a pizza this year.  The grilled chicken pieces are huge, and could have easily been 2 full breasts worth.  The artichokes were almost the size of golf balls.  On The Big Brother, the sausage and pepperoni tasted like they just came from the local butcher.  The green peppers and onions had a crispy crunch to them that made you think they had been hand-picked from the garden earlier in the day.
The Final Report: 7 out of 10


I am a fan of the oval pizza.  There is something about having just the right amount of crust on each piece, and each slice size is perfect for a few bites. Earlier this year I had my socks blown off by Campisi’s - who also cooks an oval shaped pie.  While iFratelli’s isn’t quite as good as Campisi’s, it is certainly worth another visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment