August 3, 2011

Week 30: Buffalo Bros

I have been looking forward to checking out Buffalo Bros Pizza Wings & Subs in Ft. Worth for almost 3 years.  This week I just so happened to be down by the TCU Campus and decided to stop in.  In case you’ve never heard about Buffalo Bros, basically it’s a college bar that offers delicious food with a Buffalo, NY style.  For over 25 years I have been enjoying the home cooked delicacies from the Wing Capital of the world.  When you walk into the restaurant you can’t help but notice the non-traditional combination of TCU Horned Frog and Buffalo, NY memorabilia.  Having a family tree with roots in Buffalo, NY….  I felt at home.

Over the past several years I have heard that Buffalo Bros attempt to replicate specific flavors from the original restaurants in NY.  The wings are made to taste like Anchor Bar, the Hot Dogs like Ted’s, the Subs like John and Mary’s, and the pizza like Bocee Club.  If none of these restaurants ring a bell in your mind, you probably aren’t alone.  However you are missing out on some of the best food I know.  I’ll save time and get right to the pizza, but let it be known the non-pizza food here is great!

Have you ever taken a bite of something and you are immediately taken back to a specific place or time from your past?  Friday night I was whisked away to Bailey Ave. in Buffalo.  The “Deck Oven Pizza” is offered in 2 sizes (13” and 18”) and almost a dozen specialty choices.  For a variety of reasons, mainly my order of hot wings, I stuck with a basic small cheese pizza ($12) for enjoyment.  The small could easily feed 2 people, so I brought home a couple slices for a late night snack.  To say this pizza was delicious would be an understatement.  Sure it’s a “bar style” pizza that doesn’t include exotic toppings, but it was damn good.  The crust was cooked to perfection and the sauce tasted like it was flown in just for my order.  I couldn’t tell you exactly what flavors or ingredients they used, but for a half hour I was in a state of upstate NY bliss. It didn’t hurt that I was also enjoying an order of 6 wings while slowly sipping on a frozen loganberry schooner!


The Final Report: 7.5 out of 10

The combinations of specialty pizzas sounded delicious and could keep me coming back time and time again.  If it wasn’t for the 45 minute drive, Buffalo Bros would be my go to pizza.  Yes, I have had better gourmet pizzas this year… That being said if I was looking to order a basic pie for the whole family I would invest in Buffalo Bros every time!  Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and it wont be my last time to 3015 University Ave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment